Oops. I realize Wednesday came and went, and my weekly post about simplifying never materialized. I have my reasons though. So here goes…
- It started on Wednesday with a bellyache that turned into frequent trips to the bathroom. I’ll leave it at that. I think I was overconfident about what my body could digest. I’m starting to forget I’m not Cape Verdean.
- “Praia will have a water shortage all next week (May 23-27) and this could extend to the following weekend, too.” Well…that week came and went, and water is still not appearing. I heard there was a water truck making its way around the city of Praia giving away free water, but the demand was too great for one measly truck. So, we’re back to square one — a sporadic supply of water and electricity, making it all the more difficult to remain a committed, loyal blogger.
- Festas. What can I say, Cape Verdeans like to celebrate. And I can’t miss out, right?
- On Sunday, I ran a “mini marathon” alongside locals who ran barefoot, or in flip-flops. Who won? Not me, that’s for sure…
- Swim lessons have officially commenced every Saturday morning, at the local beach. At the moment, I’m attempting to become a certified lifeguard in a country that has no lifeguard certification trainings. I’m also on the hunt for floaties, water wings, lifejackets and noodles to ensure water safety. 6-8 drownings every year is too many. All suggestions are welcome.
And that’s a few days in the life of a Peace Corps Volunteer. What’s going on in your neck of the woods?